[Techtalk] more cores, more slows-- followup

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Jul 5 18:13:07 UTC 2012

I took the good advice of everyone who suggested digging into what was
happening on my system (top, iotop, etc.) and learned two things:

1. KDE4 is hoggish, but not terribly much more than lighter-weight DEs. Unless
you turn on all the fancy effects, then it's downright obese. But using a
select set-- I like the spinning cube and couple other things I forget--
doesn't have much impact.

2. I did some direct comparisons with my Thinkpad, with its lower-specced
Intel Core Duo. Same version of Linux Mint/KDE4, same files processed in
Digikam, Audacity, OpenShot, and Ardour. I expected the Thinkpad to perform a
little worse because these are CPU-intensive tasks, and it has slower RAM and
hard drive. Surprise, it was comparable in every operation, and was maybe a
couple second's slower on large files.

Not that I want to spend a gob of money, but I think my next mobo/CPU is going
to be Intel.

Carla
--
Carla Schroder