[Techtalk] what is bricking?

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 24 01:54:24 UTC 2012

Did you brick a router? If so, what kind? Some of these "bricked"
routers can be reset to factory defaults through some arcane ways, we
just need to know which router.

As for bricking, everything everyone has said about it becoming as
useful as a brick is correct. I've let loose the sacred smoke on many an
item, some with no notice of what happened to the spectacular punching
of a hole though the ceiling tile and metal roof (it started leaking
when it rained).

We have an mp3 device that was bricked due to poor software design of
the device. Something about a file name that caused it to be so buggered
that it won't boot up. To fix it requires wiping the memory which isn't
accessible without unsoldering  a very persnickety lead frame. Older
device, not supported and therefore, defunct.  This fits the more common
later day version of "bricking", although we always have the old
fashioned one cropping up from time to time.

Alvin