[Techtalk] emails in MH format to Maildir format?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Feb 26 17:45:26 UTC 2012

Anne Wainwright writes:
> In the process of creating and using a .procmailrc file I omitted to put
> the trailing slash after the folder name. Thus I found incoming mail now
> saved in MH format.

Are you sure they're MH format? I use procmail with mutt, don't
have trailing slashes on folder names, and procmail saves everything
in mbox format (which is what I want). I know that mutt FAQ says mh,
so it must happen under some circumstances, but make sure that's really
what you have.

> I went through the process but I find that the wording in the last para
> is not clear. Am I correct in that having the MH emails in a proper MH
> folder will allow me to move them using mutt into a maildir folder, and

Yes, that's my understanding of what it says.

> at that stage they will be automagically saved in the maildir format?

The ones you move with mutt will be saved in maildir format, but of
course new mail coming in will follow your procmail recipe.

> Also any comment on that command line recipe, I did not have success
> with that and modified it to convert the files one at a time (not too
> many thankfully).

What error did it give?  You're saying that calling
  cat filename | $RCVSTOREPATH/rcvstore -unseen
worked, but doing it inside the for msg in *; do failed?
Are you sure you're only passing it mh-format messages,
not earlier messages that are already in maildir format?

	...Akkana