[Techtalk] can i use gmail like imap?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Oct 12 00:10:49 UTC 2011

Question for Gmail users: can I use Gmail like IMAP? Suppose I have two
existing email addresses, me at domain.com and metoo at domain.com. I want to keep
these because they are my business addresses. So can I use a single Gmail
account as my central mail store and forward to and from these addresses? And
people sending and receiving mail from me don't see anything different?

I'm trying to think of a way to set up a friend who is getting her POP mail on
three different devices. It used to work OK when her mail volume was low, then
she made smart use of 'leave messages on server' to keep it synchronized. And
she wants a central address book. IMAP is an option, but it has its drawbacks,
so I'm dreaming up various options.

thanks!
Carla