[Techtalk] a taste of Raspberry PI

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Wed Nov 30 23:19:57 UTC 2011

Anybody else's mouth watering at the prospect of getting some Raspberry
Pi? If all goes well it will go on sale this month, but I likely won't
be able to get one til next year.

Raspberry Pi is a tiny, credit card-sized computer that has roughly the
capabilities of a first-generation X-Box, but which uses an Arm
processor, is GNU-Linux-based, and consumes just 1 watt of power. Best
of all, its sale price is aiming at around £22 ($35).

It is a non-profit project intended to repair the flagging computer
skills of youngsters in UK schools, but is expected to tear through the
computer geek community worldwide. I think a price like that will make
it very big in the developing world too.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/28/raspberry_pi/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDuJuvZjI    (Raspberry Pi -  Quake 3
demo.mp4  [39.16M])
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ7N4rycsy4    (Raspberry Pi - the £15
computer.mp4  [46.32M] - earlier version)

I want one! :)

Cheers,

	- Miriam
--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory