[Techtalk] Dolphin sort order

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 19:39:11 UTC 2011

Hey there,

Wim De Smet wrote:

> I don't use Dolphin, but in the terminal and in nautilus sort order
> is governed by the current active locale.

My son uses Ubuntu and his Nautilus sorts his files differently than
Dolphin sorts mine, although neither is ideal by my standards. (:

> It's usually the way you describe you want it for any locale but
> the default "C" locale. Try typing "locale" in a terminal window
> and see what you get back, I think sort order is governed by
> LC_COLLATE.

Here's what I get:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

> It might be as easy as installing locale support and selecting an
> appropriate one (e.g. en_US) in your distribution config tools
> somewhere (in regular ubuntu it's the "language support" app).

There doesn't seem to be a language support type of application for
Dolphin at all.

> If the locale is set correctly it could be that Dolphin just uses
> naive sort order (if you sort a bunch of strings based on ascii
> code, you get the above). Might be configurable in Dolphin itself
> then. But the correct way of doing it would be to follow locale
> preferences. All GNU tools use this setup, e.g. sort and ls.

The ls command is doing the sort order exactly the way I'd like them
to be done in the file manager, so I guess Dolphin doesn't use the
locale file.

I did a bit of research to see if there are command line arguments
for Dolphin, but so far no luck. Their home page doesn't mention
anything, their help file doesn't mention anything, there is no man
page, and my searches in Google so far are probably too broad. I'll
keep working on it and maybe turn up a way to do this. Thank you so
very much for heading me in a very promising direction!

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.