[Techtalk] are these spammers?

Mike Kenzie ba600 at ncf.ca
Mon Nov 21 01:42:42 UTC 2011

On Friday 23 September 2011 11:35:04 Ande's Help Info wrote:
> Hi Carla,
>
> I recommend you set-up some kind of validation for the registration.  I use
> Captcha (might be spelled wrong) to block robot registrations and /or
> comments.  For your protection and to stay off of the blacklists I highly
> recommend using a Validator which requires human input.  Even requiring an
> email verification where they have to type in the email a second time will
> help to protect you and your website from most faked emails.

> I'm getting these odd user registrations on my sites, like:
>
> Ensumnisevomo
> troycoohu
> lesterbmj

I've has several like this myself, even with captcha running.
On my sites the accounts required further approval to post so there was no
damage done other than the time spent cleaning up the bogus accounts.

Several of the Captcha modules can now be beaten

I still haven't figured out the purpose of these accounts other than maybe
providing a login ID as a stepping stone to a second wave of attack, once a
vulnerability is discovered.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600