[Techtalk] Linux mail clients?

carla carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jan 24 03:05:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:09:10 -0500
Jennifer <oneferna at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The weird thing is support for different mail stores is
> > inconsistent, in fact it's downright bizarre. Icedove/Thunderbird
> > only supports mbox.
>
> I feel like I'm doing a little advertisement for Thunderbird, but
> really I've used it for years and it gets the job done for me :)
> ANYWAY, I connect via imap to two Maildir formatted accounts using
> it. And to gmail via imap...I don't recall what gmail uses now. When
> you say mbox you meant that's what it has to use on the local file
> system?
>
> BTW about a month ago my husband got stuck on a linux-related issue
> (don't recall what it was) and I saw him skimming through your book

Your husband is obviously a man of great intelligence and good taste.

Yes, I want Icedove to use my local maildir store, because that holds
five years of email messages from Kmail. I don't believe it can.

Balsa reads maildirs fine without any hassles just by using File - New
-Local maildir mailbox. That's why I went with maildirs lo so many
years ago, because with maildir-aware mail clients you didn't need any
special import tools.

Claws uses the newer mh format, which is like maildirs only simpler and
faster.

Anyway, after obsessing on these the whole weekend, I am more impressed
with all of them than when I started out. I'm using Claws right now.
Very nice and fast and lots of useful customizations.

best,
Carla