[Techtalk] My son is a network hog -- limiting usage on one computer (fedora 15)?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Dec 4 04:47:28 UTC 2011

> Jennifer wrote:
> > My excuse was that I was flabbergasted that someone else suggested
> > telling one's offspring to leave over Internet usage. My nerdy butt
> > would have been kicked out many times.

Also, it may not be easy for him to tell when he's violating the rules.
When I started hearing about ISPs imposing monthly limits on bandwidth,
it made me wonder how much bandwidth we use in a month and how
reasonable the limits actually were. Turned out there's no way to
tell. Most consumer routers don't keep track of bandwidth.  On Linux
you can run a cron job keeping track of things like
/sys/class/net/eth0/statistics/rx_bytes and tx_bytes, or the TX and
RX packets field of ifconfig, and keep accumulating them.  No idea
if Windows has anything similar.

Of course, that doesn't justify watching youtube all day after
being told it's a problem.

Or if you can replace your router with a Linux box, you might be
able to run something like Tomato and keep track that way, and
maybe even limit after he reaches a certain point:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25339643-Tomato-Way-to-limit-bandwidth-of-one-user-using-Tomato-

But it's surprising there isn't an easier way to keep track.

	...Akkana