[Techtalk] My son is a network hog -- limiting usage on one computer (fedora 15)?

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Dec 4 04:44:33 UTC 2011

On 12/03/2011 09:26 PM, Jennifer wrote:
> My excuse was that I was flabbergasted that someone else suggested
> telling one's offspring to leave over Internet usage. My nerdy butt
> would have been kicked out many times.

If you go back to the original post:

> Changing the data plan and/or updating the configuration on the
> router are not options. My husband and I rent from my husband's
> parents and they refuse any changes of that sort. Their house, their
> rules.

There is no option to change any settings on the router and I seriously
doubt that there is access to the server, although the OP doesn't say
so. That seriously limits the options available.

If you re-read what I posted:

> If it was my kid I would cut off his internet. I don't care if he is
> 19 or ninety. He lives at home so he has to learn to play by the
> house rules.

I didn't say to kick the kid out for not being more considerate of the
others in the household. I said to cut him off from the internet. The
option for him to leave and live on his own is strictly up to him after
that:

> If he doesn't like it, let him get out and find his own place. Then
> he makes the rules.

Perhaps a few days without his internet will make him a bit more
considerate of the others in the household.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the  people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick  Henry -