[Techtalk] factory install of linux & its partition allocation

James Sutherland james at deadnode.org
Mon Apr 25 17:26:44 UTC 2011

On 25/04/2011 16:56, Little Girl wrote:

> Seems perfectly *normal* to me! (: (: (:
>
> On a serious note, though, that does seem like someone went partition
> crazy and didn't know what they were doing. I have to say I'm jealous
> of your three swap partitions, though. How does it run?

Could be worse - I found myself supporting a Windows laptop which had
been partitioned, by the previous sysadmin, into seven partitions just
like this one. Two Windows system partitions (it dual-booted two copies
of Windows XP Tablet - overkill for a single user), two partitions just
for the weird boot manager, a pair of data partitions and an extra one
for moving files between the two dual-boot installations, something like
that. Oh, and some empty space in between partitions too - all on a
120Gb drive. For some strange reason, the poor user kept getting
out-of-space errors...

Three genuine swap partitions on a single drive seems silly to me, but I
seem to remember some proprietary recovery software misusing that
partition type for itself - are all three listed in /etc/fstab, or might
one or two be 'imposters'?

James.