[Techtalk] factory install of linux & its partition allocation

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 15:56:29 UTC 2011

Hey there,

Anne Wainwright wrote:

> I recently purchased a new laptop with a factory install of ubuntu.
> The partitioning scheme seems really weird.
>
> size	type			dev		mounted
> ~~~~	~~~~			~~~		~~~~~~~
> 62GB	linux bootable		dev/sda1	/media
> 188GB	extended partition	dev/sda2
> 59GB	linux ext4		dev/sda8	/
> 116GB	linux ext4		dev/sda6	/media *
> 2.5GB	linux swap		dev/sda9
> 4.9GB	linux swap		dev/sda7
> 6.1GB	linux swap		dev/sda5

> * mounted on / according to disc utility but then when you have
> looked at it then it is mounted on /media

[quickly remounts her partitions to /media and adds a bunch of partitions to her computer]

Seems perfectly *normal* to me! (: (: (:

On a serious note, though, that does seem like someone went partition
crazy and didn't know what they were doing. I have to say I'm jealous
of your three swap partitions, though. How does it run?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.