[Techtalk] getting rid of windows on a dual boot machine

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 14:51:20 UTC 2010

> From: Anne Wainwright <anotheranne at fables.co.za>
> 1  delete the Windows partition
> 2  create a new linux partition in the space freed up
> 3  install file system on new partition

Anne, your plan is certainly sound if you have an older Linux version
that does not include lvm, lvm2 or grub2.    If your existing
filesystems are in a logical volume group, you have to decide whether
to create a new volume group, create a new logical volume in the old
group, or to create a new physical partition.     Fedora 13 at least
has a  graphical tool to help you with the process.   Further, editing
the grub.conf file is more complex (but supposedly better!) with
grub2.    Note also that the grub.conf file you need may now be in
/boot/grub rather than in /etc.

Note that rescuing a system with a live CD is now more complicated
than it used to be due to all these changes.    I've been meaning to
write up a HOWTO about these processes for the Fedora docs team, but I
haven't quite gotten around to  it .   .    .  If you do have lvm2 and
need help, feel free to ask.

Certainly more than one backup is a good idea!

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)