[Techtalk] Ubuntu menu falling apart

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Wed Sep 1 20:54:26 UTC 2010

Hi Anne,

The "+" cursor and rubber-band line sounds like the effect of a small
program to measure distance on the screen. Might it have been
installed/activated somehow by mistake?

Glad you have been able to rebuild your menus.

Cheers,

	- Miriam

Anne Wainwright wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions but I did not solve the issue this way. I
> did try, renamed the directories with a .old extension. But a restart
> did not return to anything like a default situation.
>
> I found that a right-click on the 'Applications' menu item brought up
> an option 'Edit Menu' which allowed me to do just that by ticking the
> menu headings and applications that I wanted. So I would say that the
> menu files were not corrupted per se, but something did happen to
> cleanly remove many of the entries.
>
> One problem not mentioned, and not solved, is that the cursor is
> behaving oddly, I will include it in this thread for the minute since
> this happened contiguously with the now solved issues of menu & icons.
> What happens is that it will, of its own volition, change to a large
> '+' and then when the cursor is moved a line appears joining said
> cursor to the original point which acts as an anchor. Wierd. (gee, that
> looks wierd, is is really spelt like that?).
>
> Otherwise we are back to normal.
>
> thanks for the inputs.
> Anne
>

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:08:14 +0200
> Anne Wainwright <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> Woke up the office accounting box the other morning to a severely
>> depleted row of icons on the top panel and a ditto menu system. Even
>> the System / Preferences with the 'Main Menu' option has gone awol.
>>
>> What is the basic route to repair this? Where should I start to look?
>>
>> Oddly if I open a Guest Session, everything is there.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Anne

If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory
-----
Website: http://miriam-english.org
Blog: http://miriam_e.livejournal.com