[Techtalk] Ubuntu menu falling apart

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Wed Sep 1 16:46:34 UTC 2010

Hello, all,

Thanks for all the suggestions but I did not solve the issue this way. I
did try, renamed the directories with a .old extension. But a restart
did not return to anything like a default situation.

I found that a right-click on the 'Applications' menu item brought up
an option 'Edit Menu' which allowed me to do just that by ticking the
menu headings and applications that I wanted. So I would say that the
menu files were not corrupted per se, but something did happen to
cleanly remove many of the entries.

One problem not mentioned, and not solved, is that the cursor is
behaving oddly, I will include it in this thread for the minute since
this happened contiguously with the now solved issues of menu & icons.
What happens is that it will, of its own volition, change to a large
'+' and then when the cursor is moved a line appears joining said
cursor to the original point which acts as an anchor. Wierd. (gee, that
looks wierd, is is really spelt like that?).

Otherwise we are back to normal.

thanks for the inputs.
Anne