[Techtalk] What distro?

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Mon Oct 18 07:48:36 UTC 2010

L J L wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> On 10/16/2010 04:42 PM, Little Girl wrote:
>>> Hey there,

>>> Heh, I didn't know that. I figured that most people make the switch
>>> for security reasons. I remember spending a good chunk of my time
>>> maintaining, updating, and running all sorts of anti-virus,
>>> anti-trojan, anti-spyware, anti-adware, and anti-other-horrible-stuff
>>> programs. Being able to just simply *use* my computer rather than
>>> dedicating myself to maintaining it was a novel concept for me when I
>>> first switched over to Kubuntu.
>>>
>>> There have to also be those who make the switch to save money. How
>>> much does Windows cost nowadays? I know quite a few people who have
>>> Windows even though the last price I remember for it was out of their
>>> league, which brings me to the next reason: those many who most
>>> likely have an illegal copy (which must be stressful). (:
>>
>> What ticked me off with Windows was when they decided I was so stupid
>> I just clicked program icons for the fun of it. Every time I tried to
>> run a program it greyed out the screen and asked me if I _REALLY_
>> wanted to start THAT program. If I didn't want it to run I wouldn't
>> have clicked on it. I don't need Microsoft nursemaiding me every second.
>
> Yeah, I have been insulted by the Windows interface for years - the
> "My Computer" thing was, and is, very offensive to me, athough it's
> very hard to tell you exactly why.  It's like they are treating me
> like a child - My Computer, My First Reader, My School Notebook, My
> Baby Doll, My Little Pony, etc.  Now everything is "My ..." this and
> that.  I actually don't buy stuff labelled that way if I can avoid it.
I can relate to this. For some reasons
- HW support from manufacturer
- some windows only programs

i usually keep a windows partition on my systems. And i am unhappy each
time i boot into it, as it means i am going to loose time finding where
MS hit it *this* time. That "MyComputer" thing keeps changing, and keeps
getting more in the way :(