[Techtalk] What distro?

L J L lists at laubenheimer.net
Mon Oct 18 00:21:42 UTC 2010

Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 10/16/2010 04:42 PM, Little Girl wrote:
>> Hey there,
>>

>>> Maybe they will figure out that the reason that people are
>>> migrating away from Windows is because they don't *want* a dumbed
>>> down interface...
>>>
>> Heh, I didn't know that. I figured that most people make the switch
>> for security reasons. I remember spending a good chunk of my time
>> maintaining, updating, and running all sorts of anti-virus,
>> anti-trojan, anti-spyware, anti-adware, and anti-other-horrible-stuff
>> programs. Being able to just simply *use* my computer rather than
>> dedicating myself to maintaining it was a novel concept for me when I
>> first switched over to Kubuntu.
>>
>> There have to also be those who make the switch to save money. How
>> much does Windows cost nowadays? I know quite a few people who have
>> Windows even though the last price I remember for it was out of their
>> league, which brings me to the next reason: those many who most
>> likely have an illegal copy (which must be stressful). (:
>
> What ticked me off with Windows was when they decided I was so stupid I
> just clicked program icons for the fun of it. Every time I tried to run
> a program it greyed out the screen and asked me if I _REALLY_ wanted to
> start THAT program. If I didn't want it to run I wouldn't have clicked
> on it. I don't need Microsoft nursemaiding me every second.

Yeah, I have been insulted by the Windows interface for years - the "My
Computer" thing was, and is, very offensive to me, athough it's very
hard to tell you exactly why.  It's like they are treating me like a
child - My Computer, My First Reader, My School Notebook, My Baby Doll,
My Little Pony, etc.  Now everything is "My ..." this and that.  I
actually don't buy stuff labelled that way if I can avoid it.

> I've had a LOT less issues running Kubuntu than I ever did with Windows.
> Maybe I've just been lucky, but I love it.

I can well believe it.  I've done support for both Windows and Linux.  I
had more actual Linux machines in use, but 75% of the support time was
spent on Windows systems, Outlook, and the people who used it.  If I
want to fight with a computer I'd use Windows, if I want to use it as
the power user I am, I use Linux.

I do sysadmin now, and seldom admit to knowing any Windows at all, in
spite of the fact that I used to be an Excel wizard, macros and all.

ljl