[Techtalk] What distro?

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Oct 17 21:48:05 UTC 2010

On 10/17/2010 01:14 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Here's where I'll have to disagree with you a little. People don't
> give out command-line answers because they think everyone should be
> a geek and use the command-line for everything. We give out those
> answers because the alternative is a long dialog:

I can see that and do tend to agree with it. But, I have several years
of everyday use of Linux under my belt so I kind of understand. But for
a new, first time user, they see "terminal" and run for the hills. For a
brand new user the terminal is kind of like Black Magic. Witch Craft.

A lot of the people using computers today have never known anything but
Windows. They don't have a clue what "DOS" means/is/was. If they can't
just click it they don't have a clue. The fact that when they "click"
they are telling the computer to "execute this command string" never
occurs to them.

If Linux users really want to spread the word maybe they should take the
time to go through that long drawn out dialog. It will eventually come
down to the newbie being a true convert. Then when they have a really
big problem they will be willing to open the terminal and type/paste in
some command