[Techtalk] What distro?

Kathryn Marks kathryn.linux at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 11:54:33 UTC 2010

For me, the LiveCD (or install DVD) never gets to a desktop.  I've tried a
couple different boot options, but honestly, I have a working system now and
I'm not that motivated to upgrade if it's going to take this much effort.  I
don't know if it's my video card (a nVidia GeForce 9600 GT) or mobo (Asrock
is the brand I think, but not sure what model as the computer was custom
built over here in Korea).  It's got an Intel Core2Quad processor and 4 gigs
of RAM.

I think it's hanging somewhere about the ACPI stuff, but I really don't
understand it.  :(

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Eeva Järvinen <ejarvinen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Umm, what's the prob with newer Fedoras? I've upgraded mine more or
> less frequently, and while there have been hw driver probs (can you
> say Broadcom?), they have been solved in newer versions.
> NetworkManager and pulseaudio are sometimes iffy, but there are
> alternatives - WICD and network service, and jack+alsa, and none of
> that needs any fiddling with tarballs. Preupgrade seems to work for
> me, too. Now running F13 on all home comps (one laptop, one
> mininotebook, one server) - am probably going to go to 14 after a week
> or so of its release.
>
> (I've never even noticed any Run command in menus, so that isn't a
> dealbreaker for me - I open up a couple of terminals anyway as GUIs
> tend to be a pain).
>

> Eeva

~Kathryn