[Techtalk] What distro?

L J L lists at laubenheimer.net
Sun Oct 10 20:48:36 UTC 2010

Kathryn Marks wrote:
> Hi ladies (and gents)
>
> After a year and a half of refusing to fight with hardware incompatibility
> and Fedora (I've stuck with Fedora 10), I've decided to jump ship.
>
> I have a bit of experience with Ubuntu.  I'm not crazy about the whole sudo
> thing and I like yum over apt-get.  So what to try now?  Distros with
> LiveCDs preferred.  KDE definitely preferred.

I too, prefer KDE over Gnome.  :D

I hated both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, even though I'm a Debian fan.  Anything
that tries to tell me how my desktop will be set up, and tries to hide
the controls from me, can stay off of my systems.

I run plain Debian, although for a quick and dirty install I'll start
with Knoppix and migrate.  For package wranging into apt, I'll use
alien.  Debian Lenny runs on my laptop, with suspend and wifi just fine.
  The thing with IceWeasel vs FireFox is irritating, but a quick web
search can show you ways to fix it.

If you're looking for something industrial, on the server end, I would
definitely recommend CentOS, as it's a well done RHEL generic.  Haven't
looked at it on the desktop/laptop side of life.

Hope this helps.

ljl