[Techtalk] home directory/raid array mystery

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 00:27:51 UTC 2010

Hey there,

Maria Mckinley wrote:

> My home directory thinks it is nearly full:

> /dev/sdb1             1.8T  1.7T   64G  97% /home

> However, if I us du to figure out which directory in the home
> directory is the main culprit, it goes through and comes up with a
> total of 834G for the home directory. There are no large files in
> the top directory, and no large hidden directories. Any ideas where
> the other 900G might have gone or how to get it back?

You can just send that bad boy over here and I'll find the 900 Gb for
you and send it back. I *PROMISE*. (:

Seriously, though, here's a page that shows a bunch of options for
Debian-based software for finding out what's taking up space on your
computer, and cleaning it up:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/cleaning-up-all-unnecessary-junk-files-in-ubuntu.html

Another thing you can try is df -h to see where stuff is on your
machine.

Also, have you checked for hidden files? And do you empty your trash?
Both of those can creep up on you. (:

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.