[Techtalk] vsftpd startup nogo

Sonja Krause-Harder krauseha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:59:55 UTC 2010

Hi Anne,

On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Anne Wainwright wrote:

> It then runs fine. BUT, when i restart the server /var/run/vsftpd has
> disappeared and has to be recreated. The ftp connect error message at
> that time is:
>
> anotheranne at pandora:~$ ftp jason
> Connected to jason.fables.co.za.
> 500 OOPS: vsftpd: not found: directory given in
> 'secure_chroot_dir':/var/run/vsftpd
>
> I tried to chattr +i the directory, but seems only files can have that
> set. The directory is owned by root as i have to sudo to create it.
>
> Any ideas? Why does /vsftpd go awol?

It seems to me that ubuntu likes to clean up /var/run on reboot.
Debian doesn't. So, you have two options: either find out how to keep
ubuntu from deleting and recreating /var/run, or just put the
secure_chroot_dir elsewhere, like /var/vsftpd or whereever you like it.

I wouldn't try and change the system behaviour in this case, maybe
other services on ubuntu rely on /var/run being empty on reboot. You
never know :)

cheers,
Sonja

--
"Life is for living, and living is free..."