[Techtalk] vsftpd startup nogo

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Thu Mar 4 20:11:46 UTC 2010

Hi, All,

I have installed vsftpd on ubuntu server for local user only (me)

I want it to run through inetd superserver (should have been xinetd,
ok). On test also runs as a daemon if so set (LISTEN=YES)

To connect from remote ftp command I have to make a
directory /var/run/vsftpd as noted in vsftpd.conf for a debian system.

It then runs fine. BUT, when i restart the server /var/run/vsftpd has
disappeared and has to be recreated. The ftp connect error message at
that time is:

anotheranne at pandora:~$ ftp jason
Connected to jason.fables.co.za.
500 OOPS: vsftpd: not found: directory given in
'secure_chroot_dir':/var/run/vsftpd

I tried to chattr +i the directory, but seems only files can have that
set. The directory is owned by root as i have to sudo to create it.

Any ideas? Why does /vsftpd go awol?

Thanks in advance.

Anne