[Techtalk] Moving Websites: 301 Redirect

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 15:33:47 UTC 2010

Hi Sue,

You are right on using Apache mod_rewrite and doing a 301 redirect.

Here's a nice article that explains how to accomplish this:
http://www.gnc-web-creations.com/301-redirect.htm

Under reference you will see guide for Rewrite:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

To accomplish specific page level redirects need to use RewriteRule and
RewriteCond

Write us if the article or document does not help.

Cheers,
gayathri

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Sue Stones <susanstones at bigpond.com> wrote:

> I have rewritten a website and have moved it to a different domain - well
> at least that is what I am trying to do.  It sounded easy enough to set up a
> 301 redirect, but I haven't found any tutorials that explain it simply in
> the depth that I need.  For SEO reasons I need to redirect each page to the
> most similar page, and I can't work it out.  I can redirect the home page
> but am not getting beyond that.
>
> Here is one page that I want to move:
>
> http://redcockatooaustralia.com.au/artists.php#artsec

> http://www.redcockatooaustralia.com/artists/elly-chatfield/