[Techtalk] Fedora 13 woes

Kathryn Marks kathryn.linux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:39:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM, <jns at redhat.com> wrote:

> ----- "Kathryn Marks" <kathryn.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > As far as system specs, it's an Intel Core2Quad on an ASRock mobo.  It
> > was
> > built for me at a mom and pop type place here in Korea.
> </snip>
>
> What is the CPU model?  You can just 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' and we can see if
> it supports 64-bit.  That'd be the first thing I would look at.  I guess the
> more obvious question is, are you using 64-bit now with F10?  Just type
> 'uname -m' to check for x86_64.  I'm assuming you just got the wrong arch,
> so my apologies if you already took that into account.

Definitely a 64 bit CPU.  I'm currently using F10 64.

[kathryn at Nova ~]$ uname -a
 Linux Nova 2.6.27.41-170.2.117.fc10.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 10 10:36:29 EST
2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[kathryn at Nova ~]$ cat
/proc/cpuinfo

processor       :
0

vendor_id       :
GenuineIntel

cpu family      :
6

model           :
23

model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @
2.33GHz
stepping        :
7

cpu MHz         :
2336.000

cache size      : 2048
KB

physical id     :
0

siblings        :
4

core id         :
0

cpu cores       :
4

apicid          :
0

initial apicid  :
0

fpu             :
yes

fpu_exception   :
yes

cpuid level     :
10

wp              :
yes

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1
lahf_lm

bogomips        :
4654.99

clflush size    :
64

cache_alignment :
64

address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits
virtual
power
management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @ 2.33GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2336.000
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1
lahf_lm

bogomips        :
4654.98

clflush size    :
64

cache_alignment :
64

address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits
virtual
power
management:

processor       : 2
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @ 2.33GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2336.000
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 2
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 2
initial apicid  : 2
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1
lahf_lm

bogomips        :
4654.99

clflush size    :
64

cache_alignment :
64

address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits
virtual
power
management:

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @ 2.33GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2336.000
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 3
initial apicid  : 3
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4655.00
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

> The power thing has me thinking it's not a video driver issue; also are you
> getting to the Fedora installation splash screen?  I'm a bit unfamiliar with
> live cds, sorry.  Can you boot from a regular install ISO, just as a test?

I'm not even getting to the splash screen.  I can hear the CD spinning but
I'm getting nothing on the display.  Normally, when all is working fine, the
power light is blue.  When the computer is off but the monitor is on, the
light is red.

I'll start a download of the DVD and check that out tomorrow after work.

--
~Kathryn