[Techtalk] Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 23:30:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 20:47 +0100, Jan wrote:
> On 15/07/10 19:30, Carla Schroder wrote:
>> Another thought--  much of the time this is a video issue, such as slow buggy
>> drivers, an old feeble video card, or a video card that is not
>> well-supported. I don't know how to diagnose this, though I know there are
>> tools to test video performance, I haven't taken the time to study up on it.
>> A quick test is to install a minimal window manager like Fluxbox, Blackbox,
>> FVWM etc. and run all your usual apps to see if there is a difference.
>>
>> Carla
>>

> I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.  I (or rather my
> husband) has been looking through the upgraded packages and it seems
> that the nvidia supported drivers are almost non existant.  I'm
> currently doing the trawl through google to find out what I need to make
> things work and see if it resolves the issues.  I'm aware that nvidia
> support can be erratic so I might need to do a fair bit of work on this.

I'd be grateful if you would report back to the list on the result of
your research.  I was thinking of upgrading my Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 (or
possibly doing a fresh install on another partition).  But your problems
have made me think it may not be such a good idea at present.  My
computer is 9 years old and has an NVidia Geforce2 MX 200, which has
caused me a few headaches in the past!

David

--
David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk>