[Techtalk] apache2 and directory listings with capitalized names of files

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:04:29 UTC 2010

Hi Maria,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> So, we still have a couple of web pages around for internal use that are
> just directory listings. The files get nice little icons, and you can
> arrange them by name or modification date, etc. But when you list the files
> by name, it separates the file names where the first letter is capitalized,
> and sticks these on the top. Does anyone know if there is any way to have it
> so the directory listing ignores capitalization?

It's been too long and I don't remember where exactly this
configuration goes, but I do know it's one of the options for
mod_autoindex, i.e. see here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexoptions
IgnoreCase
    If this option is enabled, names are sorted in a case-insensitive
manner. For instance, if the sort order is ascending by name, and
IgnoreCase is enabled, file Zeta will be listed after file alfa (Note:
file GAMMA will always be listed before file gamma).

regards,
Wim