[Techtalk] wireless home network without router

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Wed Aug 18 22:50:07 UTC 2010

Hi Alina,

Alina Friedrichsen wrote:

>> ...the future of peer-to-peer wireless. It looks like 2010
>> might be the year for some really great things.
>
> What do you mean?

"Wi-Fi Direct" which is really peer-to-peer wireless communication. The
Wi-Fi Alliance (which seems to be a big industry cooperative) is getting
peer-to-peer wireless into many commercial handheld computers and mobile
phones. Soon anything might able to quickly and easily communicate with
anything else without wires.
http://www.wi-fi.org/news_articles.php?f=media_news&news_id=909

It doesn't seem to include what I'd like to see, where anybody's message
can hop from handheld to handheld across a wide area to its destination,
but that might be the next step if enough people want it.

> For example you can compile, install and configure the olsrd. It needs to be installed on all computers respectively nodes. I can help you, if you want.
>
> http://www.olsr.org/

I have only one wireless device so far, but out here in the Australian
countryside (not the outback, but still sparsely populated) I have
become interested in finding out how to share wireless communication
among people. The big companies charge high prices for really bad
service, with many places unable to reliably connect to the centralised
systems. A mesh network would work really well out here... if I can work
out how to put it together, and if I can get sufficient range -- people
are often separated by distance and terrain. For example I can see only
two houses from here, and they are on the other side of the wide valley
I live in. But one house might be able to see other houses further up
the valley in one direction and the other might see another house down
the valley in the other direction. If we could hop signals home to home
we might be able to connect hundreds of people who are otherwise almost
isolated. I use a satellite connection to get access to the internet,
but this is not suitable for everyone because of the cost, hilly
terrain, and trees blocking line-of-sight to the geostationary satellite.

Very interesting topic. Thank you for your offer. I might contact you in
the future if I have problems. It may be some months away though, as I
have some other things taking up most of my time at the moment, like
building a free (except for cheap materials) way to generate electricity
from the sun day and *night*! :)

Best wishes,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory