[Techtalk] wireless home network without router

Alina Friedrichsen x-alina at gmx.net
Wed Aug 18 20:45:06 UTC 2010

Hi Miriam!

> :) No you didn't misunderstand. You got it completely right. I am very
> grateful for your suggestions. In fact the very first thing you
> mentioned (ad-hoc) is the one I ended up choosing for my sister, along
> with using the desktop computer as the access point for the internet.

Okay, this maybe the best for learning. The AP mode is only later in the usage the handiest.

> All the other things mentioned by you (and the other helpful people
> here) caused me to spend the last couple of days reading enormous
> amounts of information and leaving me very excited (if somewhat
> confused) about the future of peer-to-peer wireless. It looks like 2010
> might be the year for some really great things.

What do you mean?

> I'd heard about the larger wireless mesh networks (most notably in
> Europe, and particularly in Germany, though also in many Australian
> cities too) and wanted to know how to do something like it on a smaller,
> household scale.

For example you can compile, install and configure the olsrd. It needs to be installed on all computers respectively nodes. I can help you, if you want.

http://www.olsr.org/

But just for a household this is a little oversized. Only if you are technically interested in this or you plan to extend your network to the neighborhood. Then it make sense.

> I'd love to see free communication, in the form of mesh networks,

I too. :)

> spread
> further and squeeze the crooks who run the big communications companies.

But unfortunately the most, who are active in this projects, don't do this for ideological reasons. They have financial interests, do data mining, or even are military researchers. That the reason why I have left this projects. It makes no sense to debate with such persons about free as in freedom.

Cheers,
Alina