[Techtalk] Ruby/Perl Tutorials

Bethany Seeger seeger at prosensing.com
Thu Apr 15 13:00:34 UTC 2010

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies.

I personally don't have anything against perl -- and lots of respect for
it.  Though I hear there's many ways to do the same thing (which is, of
course, true of many scripting languages - but I do think perl has
gotten quite a rep as being challenging to read if you're not the
author. again, I guess any scripting language could be like that... this
is where it gets confusing for me.   :)

 From someone who mostly does compiled work it's very confusing as to
what's really being used out there, versus the flavor of the moment. And
it makes sense that it varies from field to field.  I work in a
scientific field -- weather radars -- so there's alot of IDL being used
here by the PIs.

I guess I have the somewhat negative (and sheltered) view that C is
dying.  I work in an area where it's somewhat hard for a C programmer to
find a job.  Or disappearing  - as in new grads seem to hate it - I love
programming in C and am afraid it's a dying art form, if you will.  I
know that so many things are built on C - so it's not toast, but people
around here seem to respect it less and less.

So, with that background logic on a compiled language I do like, if I
want to devote time to a general purpose, useful scripting language, I'd
like to pick one that will be around for a while.  I'm inclined to go
for perl, since I have always kinda wanted to learn it.

Also, thanks for the comments on the resume.  Very helpful to think
about that stuff -- about not including things you don't know well, or
maybe classifying what you know -- ie.  'familiar with' versus 'fluent
in'.  I'm not specifically doing this to buff up my resume, but was just
curious as to what people want.

-Bethany