[Techtalk] PHP vs Python

Bethany Seeger seeger at prosensing.com
Wed Apr 14 12:38:44 UTC 2010

I've programmed in C for years and pretty much picked up PHP overnight
as the syntax was fairly similar. Since it's used for many websites, you
get all the global variables and what not - that was tricker to learn,
BUT it's standard for any web language, so it wasn't PHP that was tricky
there.

It integrates nicely with MySQL, making it very easy to use them together.

I really liked PHP and look forward to coding again in it some day.  I
think it's fairly scaleably.  My husbands company uses it for a fairly
large document management website.  Their code keeps growing and getting
better and better (I think.:).

Before PHP, I used Java Server Pages (JSPs) for a year or so.  To me,
PHP was just plane easier, and I think, faster too - but I have no
specific bench marks.   (I'm guessing that JSPs would be easier for
someone with a Java background.)

If you're comparing PHP and Python, I'd agree with Monique that they're
not really two languages that should be compared -- say, like JSPs and
PHP could be.

No feedback on Python. I only use the interpreter occasionally for
calculations.   When I want to write a script, it's not the first
language I've thought of -- mostly cause there's been alot of buzz about
Ruby -- so I've tinkered with that instead.

-Bethany