[Techtalk] Fedora QA recruiting

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Sep 26 07:06:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 12:19 +0545, vid wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 11:24, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi, everyone. Hope it's OK to send this mail here - I had a look through
> > all the available lists and this seemed closest.
>
> If you are looking for a wider reach grrltalk would be ok too, i
> guess. I'll also forward this to indichix.

Thanks a lot! Any other ideas for other places I can send this on to
would be great - if anyone wants to link in their blogs or anything
that'd be great too.

> > We do actually have a few women involved, but
> > they're all Red Hat employees; on the volunteer side, it's all men so
> > far.
>
> " When speaking of women in the IT industry, it is not uncommon for
> many folks to (un)knowingly confuse unpaid women volunteers in FLOSS
> with  women working in the IT industry for a monetary consideration. "
> http://vid.svaksha.com/post/2006/women-in-floss
> [/shameless plug]

Yep. I suppose in a way it's a good news story that RH does have a
decent amount of women working in this kind of area, but as the
community guy, I feel pretty bad that we don't have any women
volunteering around QA yet :/ (I am paranoid that I'm forgetting
someone, I don't think I am, but if so it is of course completely
unintentional...we do have some great women contributors to Fedora, of
course, just not in the projects I'm directly involved with).

> As someone who does not earn a living from the IT industry its fairly
> amusing to see folks trot out statistics even today. So I just wanted
> to say a big "thankyou" for publicly acknowledging this and apologise
> for not directly helping out with Fedora QA -- its debian and ubuntu
> for me :)
>
> -an ex-fedora user.

Like I said, we have nightly live CD builds. No excuse! ;) Here, I'll
even give you the link so you can't say you were too lazy to look it up:

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/

I think today's actually even work, which is refreshing :)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey