No subject

Sun Oct 25 09:44:34 UTC 2009

your resume is the language you'd be happy working with day in and day
out.  There's no point padding a resume with skills you don't want to
use.

> I've used Ruby for some minor utilities I've needed, but only
> because I wanted to learn the language some.    I realize Ruby (on
> rails) is being used in website development, but I haven't touched
> that yet.
>
> I realize Perl is older and way more complicated.  Maybe over kill
> for most things I want to do.  Or at least not a very good choice.

It sounds like you're not that impressed with Perl, so maybe
invent a bigger project for Ruby or check out Python.

Also from my experience ... I've used a bit of Perl and a bit of Python
here and there, but the bits I've used have never stuck in my head,
because they were such a tiny fraction of my main job.  If you want to
be hired to develop mostly in a compiled language, I would venture to
say that it doesn't matter which of those scripting languages you've
listed.  So again, go for the one you like best =)  But if you list it
on your resume, be prepared to talk about it and use it at the
interview.

I personally would not list one of these scripting languages on my
resume, because while I can fumble around in them, I wouldn't be able to
write a short program using their idioms and data structures.  I'd
rather list very few languages, but instead fill up the resume with
descriptions of some projects I've worked on and how they helped the
company succeed.  (YMMV on this depending on how much experience you
have.)  Your resume drives the interview conversation to some extent; if
you primarily list languages, expect to be quizzed on them.  If your
resume mentiones some interesting projects, you'll probably spend at
least some of the interview talking about those projects - and you're
probably more excited and knowledgeable about those projects than about
any particular language.

Just my completely unsolicited opinion ...

--
monique