[Techtalk] HP printers

Jean-Daniel Pauget jd at disjunkt.com
Mon Oct 5 06:41:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 03:01:44PM +1100, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 10:24:56AM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > My Epson C86 died, and I'm thinking about trying an HP inkjet,
> > because of HP's Linux drivers.  But I'm finding it frustratingly
> > hard to find the specs I want on the web, and of course the goons
> > at the local stores aren't much help.
> >
> > The two specs I'm most interested in are:
> > - are the print heads in the ink cartridge or the printer?
> > - are the inks the typical dye type that fade after a year?
>
> The print heads are in the cartridge.
> I'm not sure about the inks, since I haven't used my colour inkjet in a
> while.  What I *can* say about HP is that, unless they've lowered their
> standards, their printers last a LONG time.  I'm still using my HP
> Laserjet 1200, and it's been years.  I can't remember exactly when I
> bought it, but it was at least two computers ago.

    I agree about the laserjet 1200, but not for inkjets : I found them
    very sensitive to external changes (humidity, temperature) and very
    soon they start not being able to feed their paper correctly, though
    the print part still works fine ...
    for colors I switched to lasejet 3600 - expansive but as tough as the
    1200, now the colors are ok for diagrams, not for photographs.

--
    Jean-Daniel Pauget
    Tél: +33 (0)9 61 57 94 29  /  +33 (0)2 99 73 81 89