[Techtalk] HP printers

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Oct 5 04:01:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 10:24:56AM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> My Epson C86 died, and I'm thinking about trying an HP inkjet,
> because of HP's Linux drivers.  But I'm finding it frustratingly
> hard to find the specs I want on the web, and of course the goons
> at the local stores aren't much help.
>
> The two specs I'm most interested in are:
> - are the print heads in the ink cartridge or the printer?
> - are the inks the typical dye type that fade after a year?

The print heads are in the cartridge.
I'm not sure about the inks, since I haven't used my colour inkjet in a
while.  What I *can* say about HP is that, unless they've lowered their
standards, their printers last a LONG time.  I'm still using my HP
Laserjet 1200, and it's been years.  I can't remember exactly when I
bought it, but it was at least two computers ago.

Kathryn Andersen