[Techtalk] what the heck does this mean!!

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Oct 4 01:19:43 UTC 2009

Carla Schroder writes:
> http://bratgrrl.com/wtf.jpg
> What the heck is all this and what can I do about it? Is there some secret
> message in all that gobbledegook to tell me how to fix this?
>
> I have only one 64 Studio kernel so I can't check if it's some kernel
> weirdness. Only the mobo and the RAM are new.

Sorry, but it is kernel weirdness -- it's a kernel panic message.
Something in the 64 Studio kernel can't deal with something about
your new motherboard.

But if you have a kernel that works for kubuntu, how about booting
64 Studio using your Kubuntu kernel? I do that all the time, use
a kernel from one distro but the root= from another distro.
It works fine if they're both 32-bit. If your Kubuntu is 32-bit
but 64 Studio is 64-bit, that might be a different story -- but
it's certainly worth a try.

You can do that by going to the Kubuntu line in the grub screen
and typing 'e' instead of hitting return. Then type another 'e'
on the line that sets the root=, change it to point to your
64 Studio root (if it's some kind of awful root=UUID=gobbledygook,
just change it to say root=/dev/sda5 or wherever the real root
partition is; if you don't know, boot into kubuntu to find out),
hit return then type 'b' to boot that combination.

	...Akkana