[Techtalk] Criteria for TLDs

Benjamin M. A'Lee bma-lists at subvert.org.uk
Mon May 11 15:08:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 06:39:20AM -0700, Kelly Jones wrote:
> Actually, Greenland wasn't a country when the TLD was assigned, though
> it will become one next month (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland).
>
> I probably chose a bad example. Here are some better ones:
>
> US Virgin Islands (.vi), a US territory
> Heard Island and McDonald Islands (.hm), uninhabited Australian territory
> Reunion Island (.re), part of France
> British Indian Ocean Territory (.io), uninhabited UK territory
>
> My point: many non-independent islands smaller and less important than
> Hawaii have TLDs.

The list of country codes used for TLDs is ISO 3166-1, as I understand
it, which defines codes for “countries, dependent territories, and
special areas of geographical interest”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1

Benjamin M. A’Lee || mail: bma at subvert.org.uk
web: http://bma.subvert.org.uk/ || gpg: 0x166891C7