[Techtalk] Criteria for TLDs

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Mon May 11 11:59:02 UTC 2009

On 2009-05-11 11:31:43 +1000, Daniel Pittman said:
> Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Why does Greenland have a TLD, but not Hawaii, for example?
>
> Greenland is a country, Hawaii isn't.  There is, however, a 'hi.us.'
> domain namespace allocated to Hawaii.  You can probably guess from the
> existence of 'ak.us.' and 'wy.us.' what the intermediate names are.
>
> > What are the rules governing who gets a TLD and who doesn't?
>
> ICANN set the rules.  http://www.icann.org/
>
> Other than the generic TLDs, though, the rule is if you are a country
> then you get a 'ccTLD', or "country code top level domain".  If you are
> not then...
>
> Well, the rest is left as an exercise to the reader. ;)

A recent book describes the process of Internet Governance, "Internet
Governance. Infrastructure and Institutions" (Lee A. Bygrave and Jon
Bing, eds.) available (at a not very meager price) at
http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199561131

Disclaimer: The company I work for (Norid) is one of the sponsors
behind the book.

Magni :)