[Techtalk] troubleshoot slow ping and packets lost

Joana Botto joana.botto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:42:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

I checked the logs, I've copied what I think is relevant below and it
seems I had a NIC fail and it successfully failed over to ce0.
ce1 doesn't appear in cfgadm. I haven't read yet IPMP Sun document
which seems very complete and very big but isn't bonding to prevent
these situations of packets lost? Or maybe there is another obscure
reason behind this slowness and random packets lost? Thank you.

root at tndub001# cat /var/adm/messages
Jun  3 10:55:53 tndev01 in.mpathd[132]: [ID 594170 daemon.error] NIC
failure detected on ce1 of group prod
Jun  3 10:55:53 tndev01 in.mpathd[132]: [ID 832587 daemon.error]
Successfully failed over from NIC ce1 to NIC ce0
Jun  3 10:56:07 tndev01 in.mpathd[132]: [ID 620804 daemon.error]
Successfully failed back to NIC ce1
Jun  3 10:56:07 tndev01 in.mpathd[132]: [ID 299542 daemon.error] NIC
repair detected on ce1 of group prod
Jun  9 13:36:39 tndev01 sshd[20202]: [ID 800047 auth.crit] fatal: Read
from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

root at tndub001# more /etc/hostname.ce0
tndev01a netmask + group prod -failover  up  addif tndev01 netmask + up
root at tndub001# more /etc/hostname.ce1
tndev01b netmask +  group prod -failover  up

# Internet host table
#
127.0.0.1       localhost
10.160.30.56    tndev01   tndev01        tndev001 tndub001       loghost
10.160.30.55    tndev01a
10.160.30.54    tndev01b

root at tndub001# cfgadm
Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
c0                             scsi-bus     connected    configured   unknown
usb0/1                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok

Regards,
Joana Botto