[Techtalk] Corrupted Mouse Driver

Sunbird sunbird_0 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 03:15:26 UTC 2009

________________________________
From: Michael Fisher <desnotes at gmail.com>
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2009 1:19:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Techtalk] Corrupted Mouse Driver

Is there any chance that the mouse program being used just needs to be initialized from /etc/init.d/ ?

It would be a shame to start over from scratch just for a mouse problem.
I wasn't sure from reading your query if your mouse driver was actually corrupted or just needed initializing.

I don't have ubuntu, but use gentoo, which isn't as graphically friendly as ubuntu.  But many things are similar.
After a new install, or upgrading of a kernel, often as not, the mouse init didn't get taken care of in the orignal well working set up system/livecd.

And then there is another place to fix such a thing beyond /etc/init.d or /init.d/rc.d if that is where it is done on your system.
Maybe because ubuntu is graphic, then it is in the xorg.conf file that it needs setting.  That is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf on my system, but somewhere similar in yours hopefully.

In my system, xorg manages the mouse for X sessions, while gpm manages it in the console.
I didn't see the name of your mouse program in your query.

These two places are where I would begin looking, where mouse is started and what mouse program is started.

Also, check in /dev to see if /dev/mice or /dev/mouse, /dev/mouse0, and so forth exist.

Also it is now placed in /dev/input/mice and similar.
Any program that would access the mouse has to know where to find it in the devices directory.

A symlink in /dev/ can fix the problem for software that looks for it where it isn't.

Hope this gives some hints where to look for solution.

--Pat