[Techtalk] Navigating dependencies (Ubuntu/Easy Peasy)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jul 25 17:59:07 UTC 2009

Amanda Babcock Furrow writes:
> when I run ./configure to create the makefile, it says:
>
> configure: error: dbus-glib >= 0.73 is required
>
> which appears to happen because 'pkg-config  --exists --print-errors
> "dbus-glib-1 >= 0.73"' fails.  But I do have a package installed as
> libdbus-glib-1-2, with version 0.76-1, so unleess that is a
> different package, the test shouldn't fail.

Often messages like that mean you need a -dev package.
Do you have libdbus-glib-1-dev installed? That might be
what it wants.

There's a great program called apt-file you can use to find
out what package should provide a file. Install apt-file,
run apt-file update (will take quite a while the first time),
then any time after that you can run a command like

apt-file search dbus-glib-1.pc

and it will tell you it should come from the libdbus-glib-1-dev package.

	...Akkana