[Techtalk] Way to not organise a mail server

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Wed Jan 21 18:09:56 UTC 2009

Hi, Maria,

see below ......

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:44:24 -0800
Maria wrote:

|> Anne Wainwright wrote:
|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > small comment below

|> > My pet hate is webmail, but fortunately I have my ISP (smarthost?) to
|> >
|> do the basic spam filtering before I pop it down. With adsl here ports
|> are blocked and we can't send or receive email direct as far as I know
|> so all that hard work is not even an option.
|> >
|> > Anne
|>
|> Hi Anne,
|>
|> Must say I am confused now. How/why are you running a mail server if you
|> are using someone else's mail server?

I collect email from my ISP. I pop the mail down from my ISP to my server with mpop. Other machines on my business network get the email from my server.

I can't send email out except via the smtp server provided by local telekoms adsl monopoly. I don't think people can send direct to me either, ports blocked by the monopoly, whatever. In any case I switch it all off when I go home. Postfix delivers to the monopoly smtp server.

Is that a server I am running or not? One of my good points is a real proficiency at doing things the complicated way, so feel free to comment.

bestest
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(