[Techtalk] Way to not organise a mail server

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Jan 20 21:25:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

small comment below

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:57:24 +0000 (GMT)
Chris wrote:

|> Hi Maria,
|>
|> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Maria McKinley wrote:
|>
|> > Mail servers are not at all easy to set up, but once you get things
|> > going, you don't have to do too much.
|>
|> Sorry, but I have to disagree here. If you have a mail server that
|> receives mail directly from the Internet and you care at all about
|> blocking spam or viruses, I'd say that you have an unending uphill
|> struggle ahead of you.
|>
|> I'd recommend anyone who does care about spam, and doesn't *really* love
|> the idea of spending several hours a week tending to their mail server, to
|> let Google do it for you instead.

My pet hate is webmail, but fortunately I have my ISP (smarthost?) to do the basic spam filtering before I pop it down. With adsl here ports are blocked and we can't send or receive email direct as far as I know so all that hard work is not even an option.

Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(