[Techtalk] Way to not organise a mail server

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Jan 20 18:25:13 UTC 2009

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Maria,
>
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Maria McKinley wrote:
>
>> Mail servers are not at all easy to set up, but once you get things
>> going, you don't have to do too much.
>
> Sorry, but I have to disagree here. If you have a mail server that
> receives mail directly from the Internet and you care at all about
> blocking spam or viruses, I'd say that you have an unending uphill
> struggle ahead of you.

Well, definitely ymmv, but I've been running a mail server for about 7
years, and I don't find it a big deal. I update the spam filters
regularly, and put spam I get into a folder for the bayesian filter to
see. I guess that could be considered a lot of work, but really once
things are going, there are usually very few spams I have to move (maybe
1 a day, sometimes a couple), and updating the spam filter is just a
couple of apt-get commands.

Unfortunately, not really an option for me to tell everyone at my work
they should use google so I don't have to run the mail server anymore. ;-)