[Techtalk] Exim or Postfix?

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Mon Jan 19 19:33:53 UTC 2009

Hi Anne,

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Anne Wainwright wrote:

> Definitely not wanting to setart a war among adherents to either of
> these here.
>
> Exim was always the default for Debian, now I see that Postfix is the
> default for Ubuntu.
>
> My old Debian Bible classifies Exim as "an easy to configure mail
> server" and postfix as "a high performance mail server".
>
> Any ideas on why ubuntu would have changed this?

I would not classify Exim as "easy to use" particularly when compared to
Postfix. Exim has an enormous feature set and is extremely configurable,
but this makes it necessarily more complex than a simple mail server.

Postfix is much simpler to configure but in my view much more limited in
what can be done with it. Its simplicity and some good design decisions
also lend themselves to high performance.

Ubuntu has always strived for ease of use, and therefore if they made a
deliberate decision to drop exim for postfix as the default mail server,
it makes sense to me.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.