[Techtalk] resolution woes

Amy Hussey rpgirl1981 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:40:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:

> Amy Hussey wrote:
> > Maria,
> >
> > I was having this issue on ubuntu.
> >
> > Are you, perchance, using openchrome as your driver?  I'm adding the info
> > about my xorg.conf to maybe help you.
> >

> Thanks Amy, I wasn't, but this did get me to look at my xorg.conf again,
> which had magically  changed.
>
> This isn't terribly satisfying, but I am excited I got the resolution
> fixed. After various iterations of editing xorg.conf, restarting x, and
> using xrandr, suddenly my xorg.conf included this subsection under
> Section "Screen":
>
>     SubSection     "Display"
>         Modes      "1920x1440"
>     EndSubSection
>
> I added the resolution that my monitor wanted (1280x1024) to the config
> (leaving in the 1920x1440), logged out of X, and suddenly I was at the
> correct resolution without having to do anything else. Very strange,
> because before the conf didn't have a subsection, and when I had tried
> to add it in before, X wouldn't start and complained about my config file.
>
> cheers,
> maria

G'day.

Glad it worked.

Here is the bug I filed with Ubuntu on Launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/313041

Take a look if you want to.

Openchrome is a trip on funky resolutions like mine. I finally got it
working by using a Mandriva install xorg and copied it over to the Ubuntu
one.

It's almost like cheating, but it works now, so I'm not complaining!

Amy

--
FUD: Beware of the penguin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati.  (When all else fails, play dead.)  ~~Possum
Lodge Motto