[Techtalk] cron not running?

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Mon Jan 12 20:56:45 UTC 2009

Hi, Rudy,

comments below

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:15:17 +0100
Rudy wrote:

|> Hi Anne,
|>
|> Op maandag 12-01-2009 om 00:57 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Anne
|> Wainwright:
|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > setting my test server up, going well
|> >
|> > postfix to send the mail goes fine
|> > mpop to get the mail goes fine from the command line
|> > dovecot to allow others connected to pop their mail also goes fine
|> >
|> > I did not use fetchmail because the server is on the command line, and thus no fetchconf (I got cold feet at that stage), getmail not available on apt-get from ubuntu, but mpop was so installed that.
|> >
|> > mpop works fine from the command line. As it does not have a daemon, you are supposed to put a line into crontab which I have done. Problem ...
|> >
|> > I really don't think that cron is working although I think crond is loaded as can do etc/init.d/cron start/stop/reload  . My line in crontab:
|>
|> On debian when doing a "ps aux" i find a proces "/usr/sbin/cron" which
|> is running, and crontab is acting as usual. On this system i have no
|> regular items (desktop), and cannot check on a server (those are
|> slackware).
|>

|> > 2 *  * * *  root  /usr/bin/mpop -q anotheranne
|> > #
|>
|> My understanding is you have one go every hour, at 2 minutes passed the
|> hour. from "man 5 crontab":

I took a leaf and studied the man 5 crontab which is more specific than the abbreviated entry in my Debian Bible.

My understanding now is that the crontab time fields represent specific times, not intervals as I thought. Thus

0-59/2 ---> */2  represents all the times calculateable throughout the day from 0:00 to 23:58 in 2 minute steps.

Your paragraph below illegible as you may see  :(

|> Step values can be used in conjunction with ranges.  Following a range
|> with ‘‘/<number>’’ spec‐ifies skips of the number’s value through the
|> range.  For example, ‘‘0-23/2’’ can  be  used  in the  hours field to
|> specify command execution every other hour (the alternative in the V7
|> standard is ‘‘0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22’’).  Steps are also
|> permitted after an asterisk, so if you want to say ‘‘every two hours’’,
|> just use ‘‘*/2’’.
|>
|> Thus every 2 minutes would be */2 in the minute field ;)

bingo!
there is more to a correct cron entry than meets the eye ;)
The user does have to be 'anotheranne' - it doesn't go with user 'root'.

So for my next problem .....

thanks to all
Anne

--