[Techtalk] cron not running?

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 11 23:37:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:57:34AM +0200 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Anne Wainwright thought:

> I did not use fetchmail because the server is on the command line, and thus no fetchconf (I got cold feet at that stage), getmail not available on apt-get from ubuntu, but mpop was so installed that.

Hi Anne,

If the fetchconf program is installed (you don't need X to install it),
you could ssh in from another machine and then run fetchconf.

In any case, fetchmail syntax is pretty easy.  My pop line form my
/root/.fetchmailrc looks like:

poll "pop.server.net" proto pop3 user "remote.user" with pass
"secret" is "localuser" here forcecr smtpaddress localhost

This fetches from 'pop.server.net' for 'remote.user' and delivers to my
locally running smtp server (postfix) for user 'localuser'.

The 'CONFIGURATION EXAMPLES' section of a rather long 'man fetchmail' has
some pretty good entries if you want to set it up by hand.  I have been
running fetchmail for about the last 5 or more years on the home server...

Conor
--
Conor Daly <conor.daly at cod.homelinux.org>
http://www.geekcode.com/ http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/