[Techtalk] method to replace bad disk

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Sun Jan 4 21:11:49 UTC 2009

Pat,

I've spent the last 2 weekends repairing windows XP so hopefully I can
provide some insight....

a) If you have another XP machine, consider checking out bartPE.  It is
a windows live CD which allows you to run a virus / spyware scan. etc.
external to the main install.  I used this last week to clean my dad's
computer of some virus (virtumundo I think.)

b) In addition to that, the xp CD itself comes with a "recovery mode"
which can be used to run scandisk/chkdsk as well as some other useful
utilities.  The XP cd can also sometimes be used to do a repair install
of XP, which I would not recommend unless you've tried everything else.

c) "never ending" disk scans usually do.

As an anecdote, I had a failed XP SP3 install last night and got into a
reboot loop probably because of turning off the computer at a bad time -
  the system partition wasn't even recognized as NTFS.  I used the XP CD
to run chkdsk on the drive and it came back up OK.

--Sarah