[Techtalk] Slow booting since installing NFS daemons

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Jan 4 13:10:00 UTC 2009

Meryll, hello,

thanks for your input, 2 emails, comment below

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:53:08 -0800
Meryll wrote:

|> Hi Anne,
|>
|> "Block error" or "Superblock error" is a common error when one file system
|> cannot read another, such as when one tries to mount a floppy that hasn't
|> been formatted yet or if the "mount" command is used with a filetype switch
|> that doesn't match the formatted file system.
|>
|> That is why I think the problem might be using 2 different file systems with
|> NFS.  I looked up the reference material that I had on NFS and I haven't
|> found a configuration setting for file system type, which is what makes me
|> think NFS assumes that the mount and mounted file types are the same and
|> might have trouble when they are different.

When making an entry in fstab for an to mount an nfs share you set the file type as 'nfs', as you showed in your Friday email. When issuing a mount command at the root prompt, this is not necessary - ie works ok

Bear in mind that this is a boot up problem, there may be nothing else connected at that stage. Once the dilatory desktop is booted up there is no problem accessing the laptop share from the desktop. Laptop NFS server and shares, access from desktop, no problem.

We are talking about my also having installed NFS daemons on the desktop (as well as the laptop) so that I can potentially access a share on that from the laptop - and the resultant boot delay that occurred after installing the daemons.

[but when I try mount the desktop share from the laptop I get an error message on the laptop

mount: RPC: Program not registered

.... but that is another problem for me to check out.]

I naively assume that you could have it working both ways if you want, whether one way at a time or both ways.

bestest
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(